Monday, May 16, 2016

Which way is North?

Kathy and I know another couple well that sail. He does more than she does, (motion sickness). We have bare boat chartered in French Polynesia and Belize and they have a boat. I have learned a little about a lot when it comes to sailing from them, but this was the most important thing of all.

He taught me that I need to know where the boat is heading at all times. To do that you have to be aware of your compass points.  Sailing in the Belize lagoon is a bit tricky, nothing is marked, coral is everywhere, and the GPS is only roughly right. At one point this couple was having a heated discussion about the route we were going to take. "You need to listen to me, she said, I know a lot to." He replied, "Which way is North?" She fell silent.

I had been working on my situational awareness, but this inspired me to work even harder. And not just in terms of the compass North, but the "True North" in life as well. Can't say I have arrived, but can say, "I am working on it".

No comments:

Post a Comment