Monday, May 30, 2016

Jim Manico - Learn something new every day

Yesterday, I was talking Yogi for a Hound around Town walk, (where we intentionally go where we will meet other people on busy sidewalks), and I ran into software security expert Jim Manico on a bicycle.  What an opportunity to put Yogi in a Sit Stay and chat with Jim.

He said, "I remember what you told me, to try to learn something new every day and I want you to know that I do that." I smiled, and shared I was currently practicing DNS decodes, (I've got it all figured out expect the way the put the dots between the labels). He replied, Yeah, I was just looking at how a couple browsers implement same-origin policy. An origin is defined as a combination of URI scheme, hostname, and port number. So when I got up this morning, I poured a cup of Kona coffee, (thanks Kathy), and started to read about it. It shouldn't be very hard to write a tshark script to strip that data out of a pcap and see if there is anything interesting.

Being willing to learn something new everyday is an important life discipline. A thousand years ago, I was doing an employee semi-annual eval and one of the standard eval question is what skill or ability do you intend to develop over the next performance review interval. She said, "Nothing, I know how to do everything I need to do." I gently pushed, but she was adamant. She resigned before the next performance appraisal and I have to say, I was not surprised.

So be my accountability partner. When you see me or email me, ask me what did you learn new recently. If you want to explore this further consider reading the 12 Laws of IT Security Power.

1 comment:

  1. What a pleasure to see you, Stephen. "Never Stop Learning" is a concept that all security professionals must embrace. Although I consider myself to be a teacher, I am really just a constant student - like yourself.

    I am sorry I did not stay longer when I ran into you on the bike path, but I was intimidated by your large, lovely and obviously hungry dog Yogi. :)

    I appreciate you introducing me to the world of information security over a decade ago back in August of 2004. You were the first to put the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill security/reality choice before me. I'm glad I took the red pill.

    Aloha, Stephen!
    Jim Manico

    ReplyDelete